Thursday, April 5, 2012

A BEAUTIFUL MAN


British columnist Samantha Brick wrote about the perils of being beautiful. She writes, "I'm tall, slim, blonde and, so I'm often told, a good-looking woman. I know how lucky I am. But there are downsides to being pretty, the main one being that other women hate me for no other reason than my lovely looks."

Some people have started making fun of Ms Brick for her perceived vanity. Lakewood, NJ, resident Carl Perrin, however, was never one to make fun of other people. He feels her pain. He knows just how she feels.

When he was in his forties, one woman he knew used to call him a “beautiful man.” She was not the only woman who used the word “beautiful” to describe him. Perrin has had a long and successful career as a teacher, a writer, and other stuff. How much of his success, he sometimes wonders, is due to his good looks rather than his many talents.

Even now, in his eighties, people want him to serve on committees, commissions, boards, etc., even though he’s so deaf he can’t hear what the hell is going on. In his heart of hearts he knows they just want him because he’s a pretty face.

No comments: